Do you want to know how to remove strawberry stains? If you love these delicious treats, you know how easily the juice can stain. It’s almost enough to make you think twice about ordering that strawberry cheesecake or sorbet.
Now you can have your fruit and eat it too! With these simple tips from the team at Judi’s cleaners, you’ll learn how to get strawberry stains out of clothes with little effort.
Berry Stains Explained
Strawberry juice contains bright pigments that lend the berry its beautiful, rich color. The riper the berry, the more pigmented the liquid is, which leads to more colorful stains. These are relatively easy to remove, as long as you deal with them quickly and don’t let heat set them.
Simple Ways to Get Strawberry Stains Out of Clothes and Other Items
10 Steps on How to Remove Strawberry Stains on Washable Items
Immediately dealing with the stain gives you the best chance of getting it out. Follow these step-by-step instructions to get a head start.
- Your best tools are paper towels or a clean cotton cloth. Steer clear of anything with lint, as the particles will make things worse.
- Let the paper or cloth soak up as much of the liquid as possible. Dab the mark rather than rubbing it for the best results.
- Rinse the area using cold water to remove as much of the residue as possible.
- Mix one tablespoon of white vinegar and ⅔ cup of rubbing alcohol well.
- Saturate the cloth with the mixture.
- Dab the cloth onto the area and reapply until the stain lifts completely.
- Wash the clothing by hand or machine using your regular detergent and cold water.
- If you still see any trace of the berry, start the process from Step 4 again.
- Do not apply heat until the mark lifts, as it will set the stain.
- When you remove all residue, you may dry and iron the item as normal.
You should not use rubbing alcohol on delicate fabrics such as:
When in doubt or dealing with a piece of expensive fabric, seek professional help.
What if the Staining Is Extensive?
Children have misadventures because of poor decision-making or mischief. Maybe your children waged a strawberry war, pelting each other with the fruit. Perhaps your little one wiped their hands on their shorts to clean their hands.
Whatever the reason, you have a garment that seems unsalvageable. It may not be as bad as you think once you learn how to remove strawberry stains. Follow these steps:
- Turn the item inside out
- Rinse under running cold water
- Turn it right side out again
- Place the garment in a bucket and add water to submerge it
- Add up to a third a cup of white vinegar (the amount depends on the water level)
- If alcohol doesn’t adversely affect the items, add half as much alcohol as vinegar
- Agitate the water and garment
- Set aside to soak for at least 15 to 30 minutes, preferably overnight
- Remove and either wring out the water or blot it up with a towel
- As an optional extra, apply rubbing alcohol directly to the fabric
- Wash the item, as usual, with hot water and laundry detergent
- If you use the washing machine, add a third of a cup of white vinegar as a natural fabric softener
How to Get Strawberry Out of Clothes When It’s Set
What happens if your child spills some of the fruit on their t-shirt and forgets to tell you? The stain might then have a day or two to set, making it more difficult to remove later. If so, follow the steps outlined above, but be a little more patient.
What if You Already Laundered the Items?
If you’ve already laundered the items and put them in the drier, there is still hope. Check the item’s care label to see if you can use chlorine bleach on it. If so, dilute the bleach according to the manufacturer’s instructions and soak the items for at least an hour.
Rinse well with warm water to eradicate the bleach.
How to Get Strawberry Out of Clothes for Dry-Cleaning Only
Try to blot up as much of the stain as possible and get the item to the dry-cleaner as soon as possible.
How to Get a Strawberry Stain Out of Upholstered Items
Upholstered items might need some special treatment. Start by soaking up as much of the residue as possible and see if that does the trick. If not, consider the care instructions for the fabric.
If unsure, test a small amount of the vinegar and alcohol mixture on an inconspicuous spot. Dab it on and then remove it with a bit of water.
You cannot soak the entire sofa, but you can still get most of the vinegar and alcohol out. The smell will evaporate over time, but here you need to confirm the materials:
- Ability to withstand moisture
If you are unsure, hiring a professional may be wise.
How to Get Butter Out of Clothes
How to Get Chocolate Out of Clothes
Get a Professional to Remove Strawberry Residue
When is it time to ask for expert help? The general rule of thumb is to consider how expensive the item is. If you have a toddler’s tee that you can replace for $5, you can clean it easily. However, costly fabrics, designer items, or dry-clean only garments are different.
You might consider handing the task to Judi’s Cleaners if:
- You’re unsure of the type of fabric
- The item has great sentimental value
- Your article is expensive to replace
- You neither have the time nor energy to take on the task
At Judi’s Cleaners, we focus on customer service. Our industry experience, dedicated team, and convenient pickup and delivery service make us popular in Sacramento, CA. Take advantage of our affordable rates and see why so many of your fellow residents keep us on speed dial.
Contact Judi’s Cleaners Today
Are you unsure how to get a strawberry stain out of your garments or linens? Are you afraid you might do more harm than good trying to eliminate it? If so, the team at Judi’s Cleaners has the solution.
Family-owned and operated, Judi’s Cleaners understands the importance of your fashion items. With extensive industry experience and a committed team, we’re ready to battle every type of stain.
Use our pickup and delivery service, and it will be like the mishap never happened. If you’re in Sacramento, contact us by calling (916) 242-0650 or completing the form on our website, and we’ll have your items back to you within two working days.
Consider Judi’s Cleaners as your go-to solution when you don’t have time to learn how to remove strawberry stains!