Those hastily preparing for the day must beware of the dangers of getting makeup on clothing. Early morning meetings, driving kids to school, and rushing off to class in the morning puts clothes in serious jeopardy of developing makeup stains. Finally, getting out of the door in the morning just to find an unsightly brown, red, or black makeup stain on your blouse proves frustrating and time-consuming.
You might wonder how to get makeup off clothes. Thankfully, professional dry cleaners have developed multiple methods for effectively removing makeup stains from clothing. Before you panic and begin endlessly scrubbing stubborn stains out of your pants or shirt, refer to the tips below for removing makeup from your clothes. The proper techniques for makeup removal from clothes involve utilizing household products commonly found in the kitchen and bathroom.
Removing makeup from clothing ensures the longevity of your garments and the beautiful appearance of your articles of clothing. After reading this article, if you still have difficulty lifting stains from your clothes, contact local dry cleaning professionals for superior care of your clothing items. Continue reading to learn everything you need to know about how to get makeup stains out of clothing.
Common Causes of Makeup Stains on Clothing
Everyone experiences stained clothing at some point in their life. Whether your favorite white T-shirt develops yellow stains after sitting in storage for years or an excited bite into summer’s first strawberry leaves your white blouse riddled with red blotches, nobody can successfully avoid the occasional piece of stained clothing. Those seeking solutions online for removing stains may find outdated advice that actually compromises the fabric.
Some of the most common causes of makeup stains on clothing include the following:
- Forgetting to wash face
- Unexpected rainfall
- Accidentally dropping makeup
- Pulling shirt over head
Learning how to get makeup off clothes relieves the discomfort of throwing away your favorite blouse, shirt, or pants. Stay calm, breathe deeply, and follow our instructions on how to remove makeup from clothes. The methods for how to get makeup off white shirts remain straightforward, easy to follow, and practical.
How To Get Foundation Out of Clothes
Foundation stains comprise the majority of makeup stains on clothing. Powder and liquid foundations applied to the neck or jawline quickly transfer to exposed collars and the neckline of clothing. Foundations also commonly stain pillowcases, headbands, scarves, and winter hats.
Both powder and liquid foundations consist of wax, water, color pigments, and oil. Understanding the ingredients of foundations proves essential when developing a game plan for how to get makeup off clothes. Consider exploring oil-free foundation options to protect your clothing better from unexpected stain removal projects.
Follow these simple steps on how to get the foundation out of clothes:
- Dab makeup stain with a damp washcloth to remove the excess foundation.
- Run warm, not hot, water over the stain to further dilute the foundation stain.
- Always run warm water over the frontside and backside of the stain to guarantee the removal of excess foundation.
- Apply hypoallergenic laundry detergents, such as Arm and Hammer Free & Clear or Seventh Generation Free & Clear, to the affected area and let sit for 30 minutes.
- Follow the care instructions listed on your clothing and launder accordingly.
- Repeat steps 2 through 4 as needed until stains lift from the clothing.
How To Get Lipstick Out of Clothing
Lipstick proves incredibly difficult to remove from clothing. Many lipsticks and lip glosses contain the same oil substances that help foundations bind various pigments and waxes together. As anyone interested in skincare or science understands, water and oil do not mix well.
The initial instinct of running your lipstick-covered lapel under boiling water may prove ineffective at eliminating the stain. The hydrophobic oil particles repel water and further embed within the clothing fibers. Follow these steps for successfully removing lipstick stains from clothing:
- Use a clean, dry cloth to remove any excess lipstick from clothing delicately. DO NOT scrub or press into the stain, as added pressure will result in harder-to-remove stains.
- Place the article of clothing into the freezer for 30 minutes. Freezing temperatures harden the waxes contained in lipstick and assist with the removal process.
- Use a spoon or plastic knife to scrape away frozen particles of lipstick.
- Apply hypoallergenic laundry detergent to the lipstick stain and let sit for 30 minutes.
- Follow the care instructions listed on the clothing and launder accordingly.
- Repeat steps 1 through 4 as needed.
How To Get Mascara and Eyeliner Out of Clothing
Sleek bottles of mascara and eyeliner easily fall out of hands and end up on shirts, pants, socks, and pajamas. Learning how to get makeup out of white shirts involves prompt action, patience, and tender care. Scrubbing mascara may lead to permanently damaged and stained clothing.
The best strategies for how to get makeup stains out of clothes include mild pH soaps, clean washcloths, and gentle dabbing techniques. The pigments and polymers in mascara and eyeliner easily bind to cloth and polyester fabrics, leaving behind lingering residue that is not easily removable. Follow the steps below for how to get eyeliner stains out of clothing:
- Apply laundry detergent to the mascara stain immediately. The enzymes in laundry detergents help break down the preservatives and waves of eyeliner.
- Rinse the garment in warm or hot water to loosen the stain from the clothing.
- Launder clothing according to the care instructions listed on the clothing tag.
The steps for how to get makeup off clothes remain straightforward and effective. Learn more about removing butter, oil, toothpaste, and laundry detergent stains from clothing by speaking to your local dry cleaning experts.
Trust Judi’s Cleaners for All Your Makeup Stain Removal Needs
Judi’s Cleaners has proudly served the Greater Sacramento, CA, community since 1984. Our licensed and certified dry cleaning professionals offer laundry delivery services, wedding gown alteration services, and much more. Call Judi’s Cleaners at (916) 242-0650 to learn more about how to get makeup off clothes and speak with our experienced team of experts.